Advocacy is the act of supporting, promoting, or speaking out on behalf of a particular cause, idea, group, or individual. It involves actively and passionately working to influence decisions, policies, or public opinions in order to bring about positive change or address specific issues.
ASHP Technician Advocacy Agenda, supported by TPTS
Promote the Role of Qualified Pharmacy Technicians
- Support efforts to recruit and retain the technician workforce
- Advocate for the creation and development of advanced roles for pharmacy technicians
- Allow remote supervision of sterile compounding when conducted by pharmacy technicians
- Expand the scope of services provided by pharmacy technicians, including vaccine administration and tech-check-tech programs
- Support pharmacy technician recognition and licensure by every state
- Advocate for pharmacy technician education and accredited training programs
- Advocate that all pharmacy technicians be required to obtain and maintain Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) certification
FULL ADVOCACY AGENDA
ASHP’s Practice Advancement Initiative 2030
ASHP’s Practice Advancement Initiative (PAI) began in 2010 to drive pharmacy practice change at a local level. Building on this foundation, PAI 2030 includes recommendations to ensure that the pharmacy profession meets the demands of future practice and patient care delivery models.
What is PAI 2030?
- 59 recommendations on providing optimal, safe, and effective medication use
- Aspirational guidance serving as a roadmap to pharmacy practice advancement
- Future-focused set of concepts looking beyond today’s barriers to change
PAI 2020 Theme for Practice Change: Advance Pharmacy Technician Roles
By 2024, increase the number of health systems utilizing pharmacy technicians in advanced roles by 20%.
ASHP Statements and Policies Related to Pharmacy Technicians
VIEW ASHP STATEMENTS
- 0310 Technician-Checking-Technician Programs
- 1203 Qualifications of Pharmacy Technicians in Advanced Roles
- 1216 Pharmacy Technicians
- 1537 Role of Pharmacy Technicians
- 1912 Pharmacy Technician Training and Certification
- 2130 Career Opportunities for Pharmacy Technicians
VIEW ASHP POLICIES